14 September 2010

#93

Originally, I put #93 on the list for "shits and giggles". I didn't actually think I was going to be able to take a flying lesson ever (let alone in the 1,001 day timespan). However, one morning a few months ago, my phone pinged with a new email (at 630am natch). It was the kind folks at Groupon letting me know that they were offering a 1 hour flying lesson for $98. I didn't even hesitate before buying it. With that, #93  officially became a reality.

I originally became obsessed with flying when I was very little. Growing up, my Dad had his pilots license and for three sweet years of my childhood even owned a small regional airport in Chester, Connecticut. My fondest memories of that time were the Bazooka gum in the break room, hanging out in the flight simulator, ogling the case of Ray Bans near the front desk/control tower, rollerblading down the taxi way and of course, taking one of the planes on our weekend beach trips (this is when my Dad would let me fly all by myself). 

So, last Sunday afternoon, I drove out to Peachtree Dekalb Airport for my one hour lesson. My co-pilot for the day was a kid named Eric from New Hampshire, and our instructor was a surly gent named Ed. I let Eric take the controls first and he flew us out to scenic Gwinnett county; after switching seats, I flew us back.

Here are a few shots of our time in the air.

















And lastly, proof that I don't just wear aviators because they're cool...

























e

1 comment:

  1. Awesomeness. Did you know when I went to flight camp when I was 17? Yes, I did. It was in North Dakota. There were 30 kids, 28 boys and 2 girls. I was convince I would be a pilot so I could fly anywhere for free!

    ReplyDelete