26 July 2010

#32 : Oh how you taunt me.

#32 on my list of 101 Things has been taunting me for the past year (ever since the ill fated peach pie and blueberry buckle incident). I originally put it on my list because I feel that since I already kind of know how to bake (cupcakes) this would be an easy thing to accomplish. Oh, how wrong I was.

At this point I will mention that I am not just learning to bake pies, I am learning how to make pie dough, roll out said pie dough and then fill it with delicious fruits and/or other fillings. I think I've got the third thing down, it's items 1 and 2 that are killing me.

So, because it's summer and I live in a state renowned for its peaches (it's on the license plate for heaven's sakes), I decided that this past weekend would be a good time to (re)attack pie. Bourbon Peach Pie to be exact.

Bourbon Peach Pie filling. Just peaches, flour, sugar, vanilla and bourbon (I used whiskey because that's what I had "lying around" ... and we all know that bourbon and whiskey are basically the same thing).







The aftermath of rolling out the dough. Rolling things out has always been befuddling to me. I always feel that I am using waaaaay too much flour. However, this is where I learned that there is no such thing as too much flour. Ever. I will also share that during this process it was 90+ degrees in my kitchen. Don't ever roll out dough when it is 90+ degrees in your kitchen. You will regret  it.




The pies after the oven. Thankfully, by this point, the a/c had been fixed and it was a chilly 85 in the kitchen. Much better.










While normally I would count a recipe's completion as a success (and cross it off my list), I just can't do that to #32 just yet. I think that it's something about the dough ... or that the pie wasn't pretty ... or that I just want to bake more pie. Whatever it is, pie ... we will meet again.



e

No comments:

Post a Comment