14 November 2010

#61 - with an actual bullet

Like many items on this list of ridiculousness, #61 was a vague attempt to recapture some of the fun of my youth. The first time I set foot on a gun range was when I was 12 at Forest Lake Camp in the Adirondacks. It wasn't anything fancy, just a bolt-action .22 rifle and a small paper target, but I loved it (and I have the pro marksman pin to prove it).

So, a few weeks ago, one of my teachers assigned me a brand identity project for a gun store. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to do some research and knock something else off my list. My only problems? I hadn't shot a gun in 14 years. And all of the gun stores in Atlanta are capital i Intense. Thankfully, my friend Mike had a range that he knew and he was willing to teach me how to shoot (again).




This is the range. My gun (a "child sized" 9mm) is on the right. Mike's gun (the "adult-sized 1911) is on the left.




He's a significantly better shot than I am.




We soon switched from regular targets to ZOMBIE TARGETS!! This is zombie target #1... Before he was riddled with bullet holes.




My zombie target, which proudly hangs on the back of my front door. It's hard to tell, but almost his whole face is gone.

All in all, it was a pretty awesome afternoon (aside from being made fun of because I couldn't load a clip to save my life). I now have a healthy respect for handguns and a new stress reliever should I ever live in a "gun friendly" state ever again.



e

No comments:

Post a Comment